Your Conscious Sedation Visit
Paul and Hannah have undertaken further training to sedate patients using intravenous conscious sedation. Emma and Tamsin have also received special training in looking after sedated patients so that your visit is as safe and comfortable as possible.
The sedation does not put you to sleep. You will be breathing for yourself, you will respond to simple requests, you will just not care about what is going on. Some people become so relaxed that they have a snooze but this is not the same as ‘putting you to sleep’.
- On the day of your sedation please eat at mealtimes as you would normally. There is no need to starve, though you will be more comfortable if you do not have a heavy meal beforehand.
- Take your medication as normaland please let us know if your medical history has changed since your last visit with us, including any change in medication no matter how insignificant you think it may be.
- Please do not drink alcohol on the day of your sedation and do not use any recreational drugs for a week before.
- If you have young children please arrange for alternative care for them for the whole day.
- Please attend in loose, comfortable clothing. If it is a cold day please keep your arms and hands warm on your journey to the practice.
- We will place a drip in your vein and administer medicine to help you relax. The amount of medicine we give you will depend on how you respond to the treatment. This makes the process very safe.
- We will monitor how much oxygen is in your blood by using a probe which sits on your finger. Please ensure that you are not wearing nail varnish.
- You will need a responsible adult to take you home after your treatment. If the planned treatment is likely to be quite long they can leave the practice and return at a pre-agreed time. They may need to wait for you to recover following treatment as people feel drowsy after their sedation and we need to make sure you are safe to leave.
- Your judgement may be affected for up to 24 hours after treatment. Please do not make any important decisions in this time
If after reading this you are still unsure about what to do before or after your visit with us please do not hesitate to call the practice on 01326 378969.